Wednesday, September 14, 2011

zipper flower tutorial

I am addicted to Pinterest, it is an awesome site with oodles of idea for everything. My latest obsession is flowers of any kind. My latest flowers are Zipper Flowers. They are very easy to make. I went to my thrift store and bought 35 zippers for a nickel each. Such a great deal. So here is the tutorial.


Supplies Needed:

One Zipper
Scissors
Hot glue gun





This is what the zipper should look like when you start.


Cut off the end of the zipper and unzip it. Separate the two pieces. Save the zip thingy mabob... Not to sure what its called.


You will start at the end of the zipper to make the center of the flower.


Put a dab of hot glue on the fabric and fold over the end.


Put a line of hot glue on the fabric, and continue to roll the zipper up. You can make the center as large as you want.



Cut of the excess and set it aside. This is what my finished center looks like.


Now your going to cut the petals. Cut 8  3 inch long pieces of zipper. You can use the same zipper color as the center of you can change it for the petals with another colored  zipper.

These are my 8 petal strips.



Fold the piece in half and put a dot of glue on the fabric to make your petal. Do this with all 8 pieces.


This is what my petals look like.


Now your going to attach the petals to the center. Put a dot of glue on the petal and attach it to the back of the center.

Continue attaching petals around the center. This is your first row of petals.


Now attach the other petals in between each petal on the first row.





When finished your Zipper Flower will look like this. There are so many uses for the these flowers, hair clips, bracelet, broach, on a wreath....

Here are some other colors that I made earlier. You can change the look of the flower by changing the length of the petals.

I hope that y'all enjoyed this tutorial. Let me know if your confused with any of the steps. Happy Crafting. ((:

Until Next Time......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could see girl scouts making these for swaps at their regional meets.